Wednesday 30 July 2014

Eat: "C" is for Cookie

You know you're desperate for cookies when you turn the oven on at the end of July to bake. But have you met July 2014? Not so many hot days. So baking cookies today, not a big deal. It's our first day off as a family this summer. Shawn and Fintan have been busily re-vamping the barn for our hen and turkeys. The turkeys have outgrown their wee corner, and needed to move into the bigger room. Iain & I, well, we did our part, then went for a bike ride and upon our return, decided cookies were in order.
We had purchased white chocolate chips last week dreaming of reverse chocolate chip cookies.
But when I jumped on line, I couldn't find ANY recipes using spelt flour (remember, Shawn has been wheat free for well over a year now) So, I made up my own cookie recipe. Yep, I did. The last time I "invented" my own baking recipe, was the fruit juice cake when I was about 12. I don't think it was any good.

So here it is:
Spelt Reverse Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup room temperature butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (yup, from our own barn!)
1/2 cup maple syrup (yup, from our own trees!)
2 cups spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup cocoa
1 pkg white chocolate chips

Watching the timer on the first batch
Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. (hint: we don't own a microwave. It blew up a couple of years ago, and we never bothered to replace it. We heat up coffee on the stovetop. If you're like me, and don't plan ahead to make your butter room temp, I run hot water on the outside of my stainless steel mixer bowl with the butter in it. It seems to soften it enough to work) Add the eggs and syrup. Beat until all fluffy.
In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa and baking soda. Add to wet mixture while still beating. Fold in chips. The mix is fairly wet, this made slightly cake-y cookies. If you prefer a crisper cookie, try adding another 1/4 cup flour. I was out, so settled for cake-y cookies. Still yummy.
Iain wanted to take them out
Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet. 9 minutes at 350c in convection oven baked perfectly. Adjust to your oven.
Enjoy with cold glass of milk, about 7 minutes out of oven!!




I think that's a thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment